Skip to main content

My new favourite place- Part 2

Desperation is rewarded

I didn't sleep all that well.  The constant wind on the tent and rain storms throughout the night meant the temperature was pretty close to zero.  My old sleeping bag was not good enough, even with a down jacket on. Meteo France was predicting gusts upto 80kms on summits, I was half way up the hillside.

I woke, packed up and followed the winding road in search of the main road, coffee, croissants and phone signal.  I got into Crest and found a patisserie to, again do some online weather searching.  I'd seen a sign for GAP, along with Marseille. The latter being to far to drive for my 3 day trip.  However Gap seemed to be having better weather.  Today it would still be windy, but less grey than around the Vercors Massif.  The drive would be close to 3 hours, and I deliberately chose some back roads to try and take in some scenic roads and minor valleys.  The drive was great, but only a warm up for what was to come.


As I got close to Gap, the skies began to clear & temperatures rose.  I hadn't had a chance to research Gap trails so I looked for a McDonalds where I could get my laptop out and search a favourite VTT tracking website.  It was hot when I got out of the car, that summer heat when you arrive somewhere for 'summer holidays'. Good trails found near a cool looking lake. Sweet, time to go again!

Gap, is just south of the Ecrins mountain range. Famed for ski touring & hiking, and to the south the mountains extend to the seaside of the Provence region. Somewhere associated with a 'Nice' climate.  Maybe this is the town to find a good outdoor shop and buy a new sleeping bag? I did, my bank account is lighter, and my new (down) sleeping bag is also lighter than the old.


I parked in a tiny hamlet and began my 1000m climb to a ridgeline trail.  The summit pylon almost constantly in view with the gently sloping ridge giving me inspiration to get up & see what the descent had to offer.
Ridge line left to right
Rock outcrops and spines
Summit view was special
The views alone were worth the 10km road spin up (note for next time- it can be shuttled with a van), and the descent was amazing.  Loose rouge shale rock that somehow just had enough grip. Fast open, into the tree's for a 100m's or so, then back into the open. I did stop to take in the view on the way down. Lake to the left, rich highly irrigated agricultural land to the right. Beautiful red coloured shale singletrack directly in front!


Arriving back to the car, I was ecstatic.  A trail up there with the very best in Europe I thought.  Shame I didn't have anyone to share it with.  But having journey-ed a long way that day doing exactly as I wanted there was some advantage to this solo road trip.

Being on my own, I had nothing better to do than drive around Lac Serre Poncon and look for a superb camp spot, eat like a champion and test out my new sleeping bag...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What guides do between work in the peak of July

Summer is here, and after fantastic spring riding in Southern France and then all over Valais, Aosta and Haute Savoie with good friends it's been time to get back to summer guiding, taking hikers around the Tour du Mont Blanc circuit.  There's much worse things to do, but with three weeks off the bike I was itching to get back on some trails. With a carefully planned week between tours I was excited and made some plans to hit up some classic lines, and some new stuff too. It's mid July now, so in Chamonix valley you have to think carefully about where to go to miss the crowds, and to avoid going on the bike ban trails (July & August).  Luckily it's still easy to find quiet trails in nearby resorts, or to simply drop round the back of a hill away from the frontside lifts. It went a little like this: Day 1- La Thuile with Wayne of newly qualified French legal mountain bike guiding service  Chamonixmtb.com  . Enduro race venue at it's best, rough and raw.

Provence Posing

Early spring road trip with Team NL The Dutchies had work to finish before they'd start the mammoth 14 hour drive from under the sea to herb filled mountainsides.  Work for us guys in the Alps is more seasonal & temporary, as it is for some Easyjet pilots which meant that the native English speakers left for 'The South' a day earlier. Digne les Bains was the rendezvous location for Saturday night but this meant going so close to Gap and Lac Serre Poncon. The lure of a trail in the Haute Alpes ( the northern most department in the Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur Region ) was too much. 3 of us wild camped lake side with giddy excitement for what lay ahead. Rob & Ben knew each other from ski touring & paragliding, but had never ridden together, nor had Ben ever met team NL.  Rob and I briefed him on the impending fun. In the morning, a classic was called upon to give Ben his first taste of Southern singletrack. Mont Colombus, and a few hours later aft

Servoz storm destruction

Deep in Servoz below the Fiz 75% of trail is ok. But where it is washed away is really bad. Click here for photos What rode was as good as ever for this begining/end of season trail 1hour & half pedal from Serviz village.